If you are in danger and need immediate help, you can: 
  • call 999 and ask to speak to the Police 
  • if you are are unable to speak to the 999 call responder, listen and respond by making a noise or tapping.  If you are using a mobile phone, you can also silently press 55 when prompted to and this will flag that you need help 
  • if deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired: text (SMS) 999 (emergency), contact BSL, or text 18001 (non-emergency)
  • if you are on campus, you can seek assistance from the Reception Desk which is typically located near the entrance or in the middle of each main campus building 
Good to know: 
  • if you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, then having a designated code word or phrase to signal that you or they need help could be useful
  • nearly all of the support organisations websites related to GBV allow you to exit quickly and cover your tracks 

You don't need to cope on your own.  There is a lot of information and support out there.   At Ayrshire College, we can also help you access internal and external support.  
  • Respect Men’s Advice Line // ‪0808 8010327 // info@mensadviceline.org.uk (online chat available Wed, Thurs and Fri between 10-11am and 3-4pm) 
  • Rape Crisis Scotland // 08088 01 03 02 (phone) or 07537 410027 (text line) 6pm-midnight  
  • Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage 24 hour-service // 0800 027 1234 // helpline@sdafmh.org.uk (online chat also available) 
  • Working to end honour-based violence in the UK // National UK helpline 0800 5999 247 
  • Moving on Ayrshire is a free confidential counselling service in South Ayrshire for survivors of sexual abuse and rape
  • STAR Centre (free, confidential service for anyone over 13 years old who has experienced sexual violence) // 01563 544 686 // admin@starcentreayrshire.org 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened